Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lollygagging in Lisa's Larder- June

Pitiful month as far as fun cooking goes.  We have been doing a lot in the garden and less work in the kitchen. That does not mean that I have not been cooking....just stuff that is not particularly photo worthy.  We have done a lot of stir fry along with the usual baking of bread, granola and other daily items.  So here are the highlights of what we did that was photo worthy.

Veal Scallopini.............
Every bit of this plate came from the farmers market. The veal was a treat we bought from one of the farmers.  I still am having to work to keep my iron levels  up so here is the red meat contribution.  We got these new potatoes from Sharee's uncle and the pea pods from an asian lady. It was a delicious meal that the three of us enjoyed. Remember that Liz has been with us for a month now.  She has been a delightful addition to the dinner table.

garden veggies are producing................



Stuff is starting to come in now. Liz and I have done 5 jars of pickles thus far. I harvested all the garlic and it is hanging in the garage drying.  There will be no vampires at this house this year. Green beans are starting to come in and I have canned 5 quarts thus far and will continue to  can more over the next month.  I have 2 varieties of beans growing in the garden.  My beets all froze in the cold snap that killed most of the blueberries  so I purchased all these beets at the farmers market for $5. Ended up with 21 pints of pickled beets. Pat hopes I enjoy these all winter as he dislikes pickled beets.


Roasted vegetable pie...............
This was delicious. We roasted 2 varieties of summer squash, onion and garlic from the garden, and some red peppers . We mixed that with our eggs and topped it off with some cheddar cheese. Baked it in a crust and Patrick and Liz said I could do that again any time I want.  Roasting the veggies was key.....it made the veggies sweet and a bit crunchy. Yum.

French toast...........
 When Liz arrived she presented us with 2 jugs of their home grown and canned maple syrup.  What a treat.  One Saturday morning I made French toast topped with the maple syrup.  The toast was Patrick's favorite 3-seed bread. We are savoring the maple syrup.  I don't ever recall having real maple syrup before and the taste of this is amazing. Not sure if I can ever go back to the grocery store bottles.

Edamame salad...........
A great cold salad.  I used some of the edamame's I had in the freezer from last year and mixed it with all sorts of veggies. Tossed it with a bit of pasta and a vinaigrette and cut up some fresh basil. The picture washes it out.

As I said, I did not want to bore you with repeats of my weekly baking items so this month has been a bit sparse.Some of the fruit has been coming in. A handful of the blueberries that survived, enough raspberries to eat off the vine and Liz and I picked the first ripe blackberries tonight. Hard to get pictures of stuff you are eating right off the vine.   Next month you should be able to see the pantry shelves filling up.  Speaking of pantry shelves.....Patrick found these cool tags to put on the pantry shelves.  We used a arts and crafts font and made labels and it looks so neat in their now.

Come join us as you can.  Until then..........we are headed to the coast for a few days to synthesize  Vitamin D, get sand between our toes and blow out a few birthday candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment