The pile is 10-12 feet high and covers a good sized city lot. If your city/town picks up leaves each fall, I bet you have this source as well.
So this is what it looks like by the truck load. In my truck, that translates into seven wheel barrows full of really rich, dark soil amendment. I took this to the garden where Lisa and I mixed it into our raised beds by hand so that she could plant tomatoes she has raised from seed. Today, she planted 13 Cherokee Purple tomato plants and 14 Amish paste plants as well as a pablano pepper plant.
Our garden is quite large this year as we''ve added 8 additional raised beds along with the existing beds from previous years that are located over by the barn. This is Lisa planting the Amish Paste with the Cherokee Purple already in the ground. The bed to the left has not received any amendments at the time of this photo.Compare it to the bed Lisa is working in.
That ground looks significantly different with the addition of the leaf mold and other goodies.
Notice how Lisa plants each of her babies with tender loving attention. I think Lisa is relieved that we finally have some plants in the ground. We planted potatoes last weekend but haven't seen anything above ground yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment