Sunday, November 11, 2012

Weekend Day 2

Well, today did not start off too well.  I woke up and headed to the kitchen to start the coffee pot when I noticed that the outside temp was 30 degrees.  I about had a heart attack.  You see, last night I purposely did not cover the lettuce because the weather channel said it was only supposed to get down to 40. I started saying my prayers as I threw on my coveralls and shoes and headed out the door even though it was still pitch black.  I knew the row cover was hanging on the fence next to the lettuce and a little part of me had some hope that the frost had not settled yet.  As I picked up the frozen, crunchy cover my heart sank.  I reached over and felt the lettuce and it was solid. I cried out in agony and stomped my feet, yelling at myself for being so trusting. I hung my head and went back into the house. May as well start my day.  As the coffee brewed I started prepping some butternut squash for the canner that I had laid out last night. I stood at the island peeling and chopping squash and watching the sun come up. As the yard got brighter and brighter I noticed how white the lawn was with the frost. It was insult to injury and I got mad all over again. With the squash safely in the canner I decided  to work on Sara's dress. Last night I had decided to  just work on my quilt so that meant that today I had to do a bit on the dress. Ninety minutes later when the squash was done I decided I had better go tend to the chickens and while I was going that way I may as well take some stuff to the compost pile. Since the compost pile is close to the lettuce I thought I may as well see how bad the damage was. I must be either stupid or  a glutton for punishment. But honestly, there was still a bit of hope lingering in me that not all of it was damaged. Yeah right........ 30 degrees, frosted white lawn, yada, yada, yada. Well, wouldn't you know the lettuce looked fine. I about fell over. There are no words to describe the joy in my heart and the praise and thankfulness that came out of my mouth.  I went back three times thru the course of the day because I just couldn't believe it.  I sang thanks to God all day as I continued on with the chores. Tonight before it got dark that row cover was put back on the lettuce. I don't care that the weather channel says it is only going to get down to 53 tonight. I got a miracle this morning and I don't plan to ask for another one.

So here are the 6 jars of butternut squash and the three jars of apple butter that got done today.  Apple butter is like maple syrup. The 3+ quarts of liquid in the crock pot last night boiled down to just over 3 pints of butter.  The other partial is already in the fridge. Too bad Patrick was not here to smell it this morning. YUM.

I spent way too much time today staining the uprights on the deck. I naively  thought that it would not take that long today to paint the rails and spindles. Boy was I wrong. Four hours and 73 spindles later I called it quits.The rest of the flooring was stained, all the rails are done and I was tired of it. Unfortunately it is not finished. All the outside edges need a ladder to get done and those stairs........oh well, it may just have to be spring before it is finished. I was done!!!!  I wanted to do other things on my list......like wash my car. Man it was filthy;  it took an hour and a half to get it clean.

So that is how I spent my day. I took my ibuprofen with dinner, wrote this post and now I am off to soak in my bathtub with a glass of merlot. Life is good and oh........ I think I hear my quilt calling my name again.

Pat will be home tomorrow;  I hope and pray there is some venison in the back of that truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment