So a few days before our first expected frost I go out and check out the garden and see a variety of interesting things.
Beautiful lettuce........boy it took long enough though. We planted this in August and for the first 6 weeks thought that we had a dud. Finally it has matured and we have been cutting off of it for about 2 weeks now. Just in time for us to put a row cover over it so it doesn't freeze.
Broccoli.........planted this in August also. Just last week we discovered that 4 of the 6 plants finally have a head on it. Tiny but hopeful.
Potato plants..........Crazy. All summer long we had pitiful potato plants. They looked diseased from the moment they sprouted. They produced a pitiful crop and lots of those were diseased as well. Low and behold, I guess we left a few rotting ones in the ground because we now have several beautiful plants. I wonder what we will find when we dig them up after the frost kills these plants.
Russian kale........well I guess the compost doesn't get hot enough. This baby kale plant will winter over like the one last year did. We have eaten a lot of kale but never planted any of it. Had a beautiful bush of it winter over last year. I guess we get the same again. You don't hear me complaining..just amazed how a plant can come from a discarded leaf. ?!?!?!?!?
Tomato plant.......Ambitious LOL
Borage......just for pretty. Love those beautiful blooms. They are such good bee attractors.
Beauty mixed in with the peppers. I don't recall planting these but beauty gets to live on in my garden, even if it is in a strange spot.
Peppers still thriving. I will pick these up until the night of the frost. The plants are still covered in small peppers.
More borage.
Cute chickens.....they love running around in the yard.
Pat's home from hunting at Uwharrie national forest. Another dud of a day. Oh well.





No comments:
Post a Comment