This is coming from the interstate toward the old house. There was a vets office on the corner with a gas station just before you got to the house. The vets office is still there but his old house next to it is demolished and this is his new office as the old office is scheduled for demolition as soon as this is opened.
This is the area right across the street from the vets office. OOOOOHHHHHH the huge trees.There also used to be a house behind that tree.
The old nurses dorm that was across the street from the house. Again, massive trees are lying around.
The root ball of another tree that came down. There was also another old white building nestled in those trees that came down in the spring.
Can't really see it well here but tons of trees and root balls are scattered around on the left side of the road. The huge oak tree in the neighbors yard on the right is in the process of coming down.
Some of the oak tree scattered around in Martha's yard. So sad.
I am sitting in our old driveway as I take this picture of the tree coming down. Of note is the tree just at the edge of our driveway that is missing. It came down last week.
I must confess that as I have driven down the road in the past few weeks it is really the first time that I have ever really shed tears over this project. Most of the structures that came down were really old and in poor repair (our house included) but these trees are really heartbreaking. It reminds me of 22 years ago when hurricane hugo came thru and destroyed so many trees at Broughton hospital. There is debris all over and the downed trees look like toothpicks scattered around. So many of the trees that came down were very old and massive in size and we will never be able to replace them in our lifetime. Lots of them have gone into giant chipper and shredders and near the interstate is a pile the size of a few city lots of mulch and chipped wood. We have seen a few logging trucks haul some of it off but nothing in comparison to the amount just shredded and mulched. Oh well, all in the name of progress. But as I write this I am surrounded by a beautiful home that is only here because of this "progress". We are soooo blessed and thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment