Sunday, August 26, 2012

The end of summer

The end of August is not far away  and with the change in temperatures, It's not hard to believe that fall is right around the corner. Lisa and I have struggled a little bit, getting out of the home building-must-be-busy -very moment frame of minds to one where we can actually relax a little and do some fun stuff.  With that in mind, we have done a few things the last two weekends that would qualify as fun in anybody's book. Last week we went to the movies and saw "Hope Springs".  Great movie; you can't go wrong with Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones. 


This weekend, we went kayaking for the first time this year (pitiful, I know). The lake was full and not terribly busy.  The weather was really nice which made for an enjoyable  time on the water.For our next adventure, we are going camping in two weeks and will take the kayaks with us.  Maybe we can remember how to relax and have a little fun.

With deer season approaching, I've been practicing with my crossbow off the back deck and built a rack to hold it when not in use. I just googled for ideas and plans, found one I liked and built it out of leftover scraps down in the shop.  I think it turned out pretty well.  

Keeping the deer hunting theme, I've been spending time each weekend scouting with my friend Thomas.We have found some good locations that should give us a good chance to put some venison in the freezer.

The Chicken continue to entertain us. They are still producing a plethora of eggs and enjoy getting out and hunting for bugs in the yard.  Here are a couple of pictures that give you an idea of their entertainment value.


 I guess if you're a chicken, life can get pretty boring so stacking your eggs might be one way to kill some time.
 Our chickens are into probiotics, they get yogurt about once a week. (who is surprised by this?)They love it and it is supposed to maintain their digestive health.
Got Yogurt?

 Crowders have just started to come in and we sat on the deck this evening and shelled the first batch.  The rest of the garden is pretty much done except for the fall crops (lettuce, radishes and broccoli) which we just planted and are beginning to peak up through the soil. 
crowders (aptly named as there are 10-14 peas crowded in each pod).


No comments:

Post a Comment